Prof. Oleksandr Kostovskiy
17.03.1917 - 27.08.2005
Some facts from Olexandr Kostovskiy's biography.
- March 17, 1917: born in Kerch, Crimea peninsula.
- 1943-45: took part in the second world war and awarded several war decorations.
- 1945-49: a PhD student at the Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics at the University of Lviv.
- 1949: defended the PhD thesis "Squarability of some category of continuous nonrectifiable surfaces given by parameterization" (scientific advisors: S.Mazur, O.Kovan'ko).
- 1962: defended the habilitation "Localization with respect to modules of zeros for Loran's series and its derivatives".
- 1960: appointed to the newly opened Chair of Computational Mathematics at the University of Lviv.
- 1975: the first Dean of the Faculty of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics at the University of Lviv.
His scientific interests: factorization of Loran's series; localization of zeros for power series, Loran's series and Dirichlet series; theory of Newton majorants and diagrams; asymptotical properties of Newton majorants and diagrams and convergence domains for multi power series, Loran's series and Dirichlet series.
His popular scientific classic: A.N.Kostovskii, Geometrical Constructions Using Compasses Only, Pergamon Press, Popular lectures in Mathematics, Vol. 4, 1961.
With scientific advisor Prof. O. Kovan'ko